This report is the ‘second chapter’ of our study of Southeast Asia’s internet economy, which began with ‘chapter one’ in 2019. It takes stock of the eight predictions we made in 2019 and, in the spirit of holding ourselves accountable, looks at what we got right and wrong, with the benefit of hindsight. In addition, we are also sharing a few new ideas in this report. We talk about the threshold for the next generation of IPOs from Southeast Asia, the similarities and differences in how emerging markets tech ecosystems develop, and several case studies of how industries are being re-shaped by the tragedy of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A look back at the eight key predictions from our 2019 Asia Partners Internet Report, and how they’ve held up from the perspective of 2021
- The financial threshold for the next generation of IPOs from Southeast Asia (“The Rule of 25”)
- What can we learn from how different emerging market ecosystems evolve over time (“The Cargo and The Rails”)
- The tragedy of COVID-19 in the region (“Southeast Asia Through the Crisis”)
- Case studies on four industries transformed by COVID-19: education, autos, travel, and healthcare